What’s new in the lab?
We proudly announce the publication of our special issue on the influence of domain-general factors influencing numerical and arithmetic processing.in the Journal of Numerical Cognition! This special issue comprises a series of very interesting articles addressing this topic from various angles. Thanks to everybody who contributed to this endeavour. Definitely worth a look.
A paper has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Numerical Cognition.
Title: A role for attentional reorienting during approximate multiplication and division
Authors: Katz, C., Hoesterey, H. & Knops, A.
A book chapter on “Neuroimaging” has been accepted for publication. To appear in the “Encyclopedia of Personality and Individual Differences”.
So excited. I just signed a contract with Routledge for a book on “Numerical Cognition”. To appear in spring 2019. Stay tuned…
A book chapter has been accepted for publication in a forthcoming book edited by Avishai Henik and Wim Fias. The chapter is entitled “Neurocognitive Evidence for Spatial Contributions to Numerical Cognition”. To appear in “Heterogeneous Contributions to Numerical Cognition”, Elsevier.
Wow – time flies. Second term as a stand-in professor and teaching still takes up a lot of time… Yet – at this very moment I can proudly link to the website of the Humboldt-Universität which features a nice little interview with me about my work (in German). You find it at https://www.hu-berlin.de/de or more directly under https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/pr/nachrichten/pm1705/nr_170505_00
Starting October 1, André will be the stand-in professor for Experimental Psychology (‘Allgemeine Psychologie’) at the Humboldt-Universität Berlin. I am very happy and all excited about this great opportunity!
Off for DGPs meeting in Leipzig.
A paper has been accepted for publication in Journal of Neurophysiology!
Title: Decreased cerebellar-cerebral connectivity contributes to complex task performance
Authors: Katz, C. & Knops, A.
Daniele Didino has joined the lab as post-doctoral research fellow. Welcome Daniele!
Looking forward to presenting our work at workshop on “Heterogeneous Contributions to Numerical Cognition” (June 1 to June 3) in Gent. It has been organized by Wim Fias and Avishai Henik and the speakers include:
Bert De Smedt
My new review on neural correlates of number processing just appeared in The Neuroscientist.
A review article was accepted for publication in The Neuroscientist.
Title: Probing the neural correlates of number processing.
Author: André Knops
André is off to present at TeaP in Heidelberg.
André is presenting the lab’s work at the “Laboratoire de Psychologie de la Perception (LPP)” at Paris Descartes.
André has the pleasure to head the PhD defense of Karin Ludwig on “Dorsal and ventral stream contributions to visual awareness”.
Seda has successfully defender her PhD thesis with distinction. CONGRATULATIONS Seda!
Tomorrow (18.05.2016) Seda will defend her PhD thesis.
Seda has won a poster prize at the 34th European Meeting on Cognitive Neuropsychology in Bressanone.
André is presenting at the 34th European Meeting on Cognitive Neuropsychology in Bressanone.
We have learned that the the DFG continues to fund our Emmy Noether group for the full 5-year period until May 2017.
Seda has submitted her PhD thesis entitled “Functional Specialiazation in the Brain: the Case of Numbers” .
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!
André is presenting our work at the University of Freiburg.
André will host a symposium on “Numerical Cognition” at the TeaP 2017 in Heidelberg.
Maron Mantwill has joined out team as student assistant. Welcome, Maron.
Curren Katz successfully defended her PhD thesis! C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!
Curren will defend her PhD thesis tomorrow, July 21st, 13:00 (room 3’208).
André is attending the Emmy Noether-Meeting at Potsdam (until 17.07.2015).
Seda is off to present her work at the International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) meeting in Rio.
André, Seda and Hannes are off to the Psychologie & Gehrin conference in Frankfurt, where we will have the satellite symposium on dorsal contribution to perception tomorrow. Come and join us – it’s free.
Curren has submitted her PhD thesis. Congratulations!
André is presenting our recent work at the Colloquium of the Department of Psychology in Tübingen.
An article was accepted for publication in Neuroimage.
Title: Dissociating estimation from comparison and response eliminates parietal involvement in sequential numerosity perception
Authors: Cavdaroglu, S., Katz, C. & Knops, A.
An article was accepted for publication in Cognition.
Title: Asymmetric activation spreading in the multiplication associative network due to asymmetric overlap between numerosities semantic representations?
Authors: Didino D, Knops A., Vespignani F, & Kornpetpanee S
Seda has won a travel grant to present her work at the International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) meeting in Rio, taking place from July 7 -11 2015.
A paper has been accepted for publication in Psychological Research (pending minor revisions).
Title: Mental subtraction and multiplication recruit both phonological and visuospatial resources: evidence from a symmetric dual-task design
Authors: Cavdaroglu, S & Knops, A.
Congratulations for your first publication, Seda!
André, Seda and Curren are attending the TeaP 2015 in Hildesheim where Seda and Curren present their work in the numerical cognition symposia that are chaired and organized by André (see program here).
Seda has won a travel grant to present her work at the European Neuroscience Conference (ENCODS) taking place April 23 – 26 2015 in Sesimbra (Portugal).
The faculty for Life Sciences at the Humboldt-Universität Berlin has granted André Knops with the Right to Teach (venia legendi).
André is attending the 33rd European Workshop on Cognitive Neuropsychology in Bressanone/Brixen (Italy) where he presents the recently published work on non-conscious perception of numerical information.
“Exploring the boundary conditions of unconscious numerical priming effects with continuous flash suppression”
JE SUIS CHARLIE.
André will give a presentation on the “psychology of erroneous information processing” as part of his habilitation (2nd PhD) which should provide him with the venia legendi in psychology. The talk will take place on January 5, 2015 (17:00; room 3’208; Department of Psychology). Everybody is welcome.
The DFG has granted André Knops and Guido Hesselmann with the funding for a Symposium entitled: “Between embodiment and neuronal recycling – Contribution of the dorsal stream to visual perception“. It will take place in Frankfurt/Main (Germany) June 7 & 8, 2015, right after the Psychology & Brain meeting. Everybody is welcome. No fees for participation in the Symposium.
++ Confirmed speakers (alphabetic order): ++
Jorge Almeida (Coimbra, Portugal)
Michael Andres (Gent, Belgium)
Svenja Caspers (FZ Jülich, Germany)
Evelyn Eger (Neurospin, Saclay, France)
Markus Kiefer (Ulm, Germany)
Manuela Piazza (CiMEC, Trento, Italy)
Thomas Schenk (Erlangen, Germany)
Ralp Weidner (FZ Jülich, Germany)
– An article was accepted for publication in Brain Structure and Function.
Title: Considering structural connectivity in the triple code model of numerical cognition – Differential connectivity for magnitude processing and arithmetic facts
Authors: Klein, E., Suchan, J., Moeller, K., Karnath, H.-O., Knops, A., Wood, G., Nuerk, H.-C., & Willmes, K.
– FREE DOWNLOAD of Hesselmann, Darcy, Sterzer & Knops (2014).
Be quick and download our manuscript entitled “Exploring the boundary conditions of unconscious numerical priming effects with continuous flash suppression” FOR FREE UNTIL JANUARY 4, 2015 from the journal’s website!
– Curren & Seda attend SfN annual meeting in Washington DC. On Tuesday they will present their work within the poster session “#624.Visual Cognition: Decision-Making“.
– Together with Martin Fischer I published a commentary on the recent article of Zanolie & Pecher (2014) in Frontiers in Psychology – Cognition.
Title: Attentional Cueing in Numerical Cognition – A commentary on Zanolie & Pecher (2014).
– An article has been accepted for publication in Consciousness and Cognition.
Title: Exploring the boundary conditions of unconscious numerical priming effects with continuous flash suppression.
Authors: Hesselmann G, Darcy N., Sterzer P, Knops A
03.10.2014 – 04.10.2014
– André is attending the “Workshop on Educational Neuroscience of Mathematics” in Tübingen.
– An article has been accepted for publication in PLoS ONE.
Title: In how many ways is the approximate number system associated with exact
Authors: Pinheiro-Chargas, P., Wood, G., Knops, A., Krinzinger, H., Lonnemann, J., Startling-Alves, I., Willmes, K., & Haase, V.
– André is off for the DGPs conference in Bochum.
– An article was accepted for publication in Psychological Science.
Title: The scope and limits of numerical priming under interocular suppression.
Authors: Hesselmann, G. & Knops, A.
– An article was accepted for publication in PLoS One:
Title: Operational momentum in approximate multiplication and division? PLoS One
Authors: Katz, C. & Knops, A.
André Knops is off for the yearly Emmy Noether meeting in Potsdam (18.07. – 20.07.2014).
– Seda Cavdaroglu received the ‘Best Poster Award’ in the “1st Joint Turkish-German Symposium on Human Neuroscience” which took place in Berlin (June 5th – 6th).
– André Knops is off to OHBM in Hamburg, presenting poster on “A shared, flexible neural map architecture reflects capacity limits in both visual short term memory and enumeration.”
– Seda Cavdaroglu is participating in the “1st Joint Turkish-German Symposium on Human Neuroscience” taking place in Berlin (June 5th – 6th). She presents a poster entitled “Does IPS really represent abstract number sense?”
– poster accepted for presentation at the DGPs meeting in Bochum.
– An article was accepted for publication in The Journal of Neuroscience!
Title: A shared, flexible neural map architecture reflects capacity limits in both visual short term memory and enumeration.
Authors: A. Knops, M. Piazza, R. Sengupta, E. Eger & D. Melcher
- Nadja Tschentscher from Cambridge will present on Wednesday, 21.05.2014 (9:15, room 3’208, Department of Psychology; Rudower Chaussee 18, 12489 Berlin) on “How are things adding up: the neural dynamics of arithmetic problem solving as revealed by fMRI and EEG“.
– Dany Hoenack will present her first results on multisensory integration of numerical information on Wednesday, 23rd of April, 9:15 in the Colloquium.
– semester starts with a new seminar on “(non)conscious perception from a neurocognitive perspective”.
– Article published in QJEP: Can approximate mental calculation account for operational momentum in addition and subtraction?
authors: Knops A, Dehaene S, Berteletti I & Zorzi M
– A poster has been accepted for presentation at this year’s meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping in Hamburg.
Title: “A shared neural map architecture underlies capacity limits in both working memory and enumeration”
Authors: Knops A, Piazza M, Sengupta R, Eger E, & Melcher D
– We are happy to announce the upcoming presentation of Manuela Piazza at the Department of Psychology on Wednesday February 12th 2014 (17:00; room 3.209). Title and abstract are given below:
Number sense and calculation in the adult and in the developing brain
Hope to see you there…
– An article has been accepted for publication in The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. Title: “Can Approximate Mental Calculation Account for Operational Momentum in Addition and Subtraction?”
-Our new student assistant, Julia Gerb, started working with us as of today.
-We have a new masters student – Dany Hoenack- working with us for her masters thesis. She will be working with Seda Cavdaroglu for a project on multisensory integration and numerical cognition.
– Back from vacation with good news: An article has been accepted for publication in Neuroimage (title: Numerical ordering and symbolic arithmetic share frontal and parietal circuits in the right hemisphere)
– We are sad to announce that Carolin will leave our group by the end of September to do an internship at the Charité. We wish her all the best!
– This offers the opportunity for students to apply for a position as a student assistant (41 hours/month) in the group (deadline: 20.09.2013; reference/Kennziffer: 32/419/13).
-Seda Cavdaroglu turned back from the “2nd International Summer School and Workshop on Brain Dynamics: Connectivity & Cognition“.
– Seda Cavadroglu is attending the “2nd International Summer School and Workshop on Brain Dynamics: Connectivity & Cognition“.
– Curren Katz is presenting preliminary results at the Colloquium of the Cognitive Psychology Unit (Prof. van der Meer). Wednesday (26.06.2013) 9:00AM
– We wish to thank all attendees of the long night of sciences for their interest in our work and the interesting discussions. A special thanks goes to the participants who took part in the small adaptation experiment. The first results will appear here soon.
– André Knops is going to HBM 2013 in Seattle, presenting a poster on the neural system linking ordinal symbolic abilities to symbolic calculation abilities.
– An article appeared in Frontiers in Psychology “examining the presence and determinants of operational momentum in childhood”
– André Knops will achieve the status ‘advanced user’ at the Berlin Center for Advanced Neuroimaging which allows him to independently measure participants in fMRI.